Followers

Thursday, June 10, 2010

Cooking with kids

Let's just say I don't let my kids cook very often. I let them cook with me and hope they learn. So, I thought I would give them a chance. I told them, "why don't you make some macaroni & cheese and some hot dogs." I figured it would be pretty simple. My favorite dish to make at Logan's age was beans and dogs. I figured I was in the next room, in case something went wrong..I was still there, but I let them pretty much go on their own.
After about 30 minutes Uriah says, "Mom....do you use the same amount of water that the box calls for?" I told him no.....that you are just bowling macaroni so it really doesn't matter. About five minutes later I hear, "are you sure? My mac and cheese doesn't look like your mac and cheese." So then I asked them if they added the milk, the answer was yes. The butter? Yes. Did you add the cheese packet? Yes. The ENTIRE cheese packet? (I had visions of Logan treating the cheese packet as a Lik M Aid candy packet.) Yes mom....the entire packet. After I questioned Uriah, I then questioned Logan geting the same answers....and then.....it dawned on me. I looked at both boys and said, "and at what time.....did you drain the water off the macaroni?"
You are supposed to do that????????????
That's you answer ha ha ha........ they never drained the water off the macaroni......

and yes, I ate every bite on my plate.............BLEAH!!!! But don't tell the kiddies......I hated it. I think they know it...but I never voiced it. All I said was...it's OK....you'll know better for next time...it's how we learn.

1 comment:

  1. I shouldn't laugh at your misery, but... I did. Savannah (8) started her cooking ventures with French Toast. I've discovered it's hard to mess that one up. Her next thing that she wants to make is Grilled Cheese. I think I'll let her do that too. As for Uriah... I keep extra cheese packets on hand for things like that. (Use the noodles in something else - save the cheese.)

    ReplyDelete

Weather Bug Web Widget